PARK MAINTENANCE -OPEN SPACE & NATURAL RESOURCES
This full-time position is responsible for performing maintenance duties at assigned District parks and other grounds. This includes, native turf renovation, trails, construction projects, playgrounds, ball-field maintenance, and set up and removal of field operation in the District park sites. The job may require shifts ranging from morning to evening hours, weekends and holidays.
About the job:
* Inspect Open Space and Natural Resources areas to determine appropriate method of treatment. Which includes scheduling over seeding, diagnose disease and pest conditions; spray landscaped areas with low-toxic herbicides, pesticides; prepare mixtures in proper proportions.
* Complete routine maintenance and specialized maintenance programs for the Open Space and Natural Resources in the Urban Parks Department with emphasis on natural areas, specialty sites, trail systems and drainages of related properties along with undeveloped public lands and streetscapes. Assist with locating and managing nuisance wildlife.
* Perform a variety of general groundskeeping duties including mowing and edging, raking, weeding, trimming trees, fertilizing, transplanting trees and shrubs and pruning hedges and shrubs; planting lawns, trees, shrubs, hedges and flowers.
* Prepare and maintain ball fields, athletic fields and surrounding landscape areas; prepare fields for athletic competition; drag, repair, prepare and maintain athletic fields; fill infield holes; screen the field; sweep dugouts and clean bleacher areas.
* Prepare, maintain, and install signs and playground equipment as required.
* Maintain site/turf by aerating, slashing and applying top dressing; maintain flower beds and vegetation in park sites and other District sites.
* Perform snow/ice removal to the Urban Parks standards
* Inspect, repair and replace automatic and manual sprinkler valves, irrigation lines and sprinkler heads; inspect functioning of controllers and repair as necessary; inspect and repair backflow prevention devices.
* Train and provide work direction to assigned seasonal and part-time personnel.
* Collect trash and perform general grounds cleaning (restroom, picnic shelters, tennis/volleyball courts, etc.).
* Operate riding and push mowers, edgers, weed eaters, blower, rakes, brooms, shovels, hose, chain saws, and other grounds maintenance tools and equipment.
* Clean and perform routine maintenance on grounds maintenance equipment and tools.
* Install, operate, maintain and repair sprinkler/drainage systems as assigned.
* Maintain records of work performed including preventive maintenance and needed repairs (field reports).
* Attend and participate in staff meetings, trainings, and orientations.
* Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
* Graduation from high school or completion of GED.
* Four (4) years labor experience in park or landscape maintenance, horticulture, forestry or a closely related field, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Two (2) years experience operating commercial landscape equipment.
* One (1) year experience as a crew leader preferred.
* Possession of current certification or within 6 months in one of the following upon hire: ISA Certified Arborist, Chemical Pesticide Application, or Landscape Technician
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
* Pesticide Applicator Certification preferred
* Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within thirty (30) days of employment. Must be insurable by the District carrier at the onset and for the duration of employment.
As a Foothills employee, you will enjoy:
* Competitive pay
* Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401k benefits
* Training and promotion from within
* FREE use of our recreation/fitness centers, swimming pools, and ice arena
* Discounts on recreation classes and golf
Creating Community, Enhancing Health, Inspiring Play! We fulfill our mission by providing a variety of recreational services, programs and activities for both youth and adults. We operate three recreation centers, two golf courses, a two-sheet ice arena, swimming pools, and two indoor sports facilities. In addition, we maintain 68 park sites and over 30 miles in trails. Joining our team means you will contribute to the wellbeing of your community.